Friday, August 30, 2013

Always Will N 2

Is this how to add a new entry??


Welcome to WillN2
I've been WillN2 start a blog for quick sometime now. Made the mistake of getting sucked into the GoDaddy vortex.  The money goes in and nothing comes out.
Their easy help packages I found to be a complete joke.

Disqus worked once for me, and then it never worked again. All this hassle with the passwords. Anyone under thirty won't remember when the way to keep your passwords safe was 1. never use the same one twice, 2. never write them down and 3. never use anything that's a common word, a number, birthdate, your dog's name. The same people who had these solutions quickly began asking for your first school, first pet, your first grade teacher's name as security questions.

This is why I don't buy anything from iTunes, haven't purchased a new App in over a year, and it's also the reason Apple Tech Support gave complete access to some hacker who who knew one of the other e-mail addresses of a Wired reporter a couple of years ago.
I also don't read the New Yorker, Wired, National Geographic and probably one or two other magazines on my iPad--I can't. The security procedures are a disaster. I've seen about three issues of Wired about as many of the New Yorker. I loved the single app-issue of National Geographic. I paid for a year, I never got passed some ad afterwards. I gave up and forgot about it until I noticed they'd renewed the subscription and charged my credit for the next year.
I think Conde Nast means NO ACCESS in Gran Marnierian.

I find a lot of tech peace of mind in the mantra, "someday, this stuff is going to work."

Anyone else have these hassles? I complain a lot. I like things that can actually work. When I first learned Photoshop 2.5, it made me crazy. I could do things with it, made a lot of money on my first photo I did with it. (Can I post photos here? Have to figure that out.)  That first image was 60 megabytes, took me almost a month. Waiting for the thermometers to fill up took more than a half hour in many cases. I read four books waiting for those things.
The crashes and headaches drove me back into the darkroom. I didn't give up on Photoshop, but it was incredibly satisfying to be able to understand everything that was happening making an image. I built machines to process film, rock my trays, a special little light to bring up the highlight detail, figured out sepia toning--it's not just orange Instagram users.
I got tired of looking at the surface of photos, the four colors printing in magazines, the limitations of color negative, positive--even Kodachrome. The palettes and textures are limited after you've looked at a million or so images.
That's where the sepia toning came in. Bluring the image just slightly, partially is a better word, allowed the image to separate from the surface of the paper. I found out later Gerhardt Richter, a great German artist using oil paint, had done the same thing.
Now, except for a few people, and a lot of college kids, chemical photography is effectively extinct. That's okay, no regrets. I'm happy I was able to do what I did, and I really like digital. With digital there aren't all those amazing images that didn't turn out because of exposure, focus, and development problems








No comments:

Post a Comment